Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A New Season...


As i walked outside this morning something wonderful happened...i saw my breath as it steamed up into the air of dawn. It was a perfect morning. One that seemed to usher in one of my favorite seasons, Autumn. I must admit, my least favorite season is the summer! I just am not a hot weather girl. My idea of a wonderful vacation is a road trip up to New England as the leaves burst into an array of colors.

There are just so many great things that come with the fall season that have to do with family. So i have decided to compile a list of the top 20 things i love to do in the fall (you will find many have to do with food. I find it funny that so many of the joys in my life revolve around food. My mother nurtured that in me. LOL)...

1. Collect leaves with Juli and make crafts with them.
2. Bake a Pumpkin Pie
3. Have a bon fire in the back yard and toast marshmallows.
4. Our church ladies retreat at America's Keswick.
5. Run through a local corn maze.
6. Go pumpkin picking.
7. Carve our pumpkins.
8. Make homemade Applesauce (my recipe below)
9. Apple picking
10. Bake an Apple Pie
11. Halloween at Aunt Lora's.
12. Thanksgiving here at our house with our family.
13. The start of all our favorite fall shows.
14. School festivities that as a mom i love to participate in.
15. Fall scented candles in the house!!!!!
16. Making caramel apples with those silly wrappers that come in the box in the grocery store.
17. FOOTBALL Season!!!
18. Getting to wear hoodie sweatshirts with jeans.
19. The smell of fire places in the air.
20. Local harvest festivals. They have a great one at Quiet Valley Historical Farm in Pa.


Here is my recipe for apple sauce.

Easy Homemade Chunky Apple Sauce:
(Thanks Karen I.)
*8 apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks or slices.
*1 tsp. cinnamon
*1/2 cup water
*1/2 to 1 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 8 to 10 hrs.

This recipe is so easy and yummy! You will love it. My kids do!



No comments: