Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Waiting Game...


Time. It is so fickle. As i sit here at my computer pondering what today was all about i just think that perhaps we are too caught up in time. Being a History teacher, i have thought many times about how different time is today than it was in the past. We schedule things by the minute these days. I was watching a documentary on Thomas Jefferson the other day and it talked about his wife's struggle with depression. She lived on their gorgeous estate at Monticello all alone so much of the time. Two of her daughters and one son all died as infants. Though in today's time, Thomas would have easily made the day's drive from Philadelphia to Virginia. In her time, life went about 3 miles an hour tops. Therefore it took about  a week to travel that distance. He didn't make it home much during the revolutionary period in our history. So sad. He helped master our entire nation, but could not master his family's happiness.

My point is that every day waiting for our court date seems like 20. I have so much to get done in so little time and yet it seems like it will be forever. I am torn as i can't decide if time is my friend or my enemy in this situation. 

All in all though, it is in God's hands. However long, however short it may be. Look how long God waited to give Sara Isaac. Look how long it took the Israelites to get to the promised land. Look how long Noah was stuck on that smelly boat with just his family, hundreds of animals and LOTS of poop. Maybe God is trying to teach me something in His time. I guess the faster i learn, the faster the time will go.

"But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day." Habakkuk 2:3

No comments: